You don't need to be vegan to enjoy this seriously delicious comfort food!
Tip: If you want to make this gluten free, feel free to use gluten free macaroni, breadcrumbs and flour!
350g macaroni pasta
1 brown onion, peeled halved
1/2 onion, peeled and grated
1L almond milk (or other dairy free milk alternative)
100g dairy free margarine such as Nuttelex
85g plain flour
2 tsp Massel vegan chicken stock powder
150g MyLife Biocheese, grated (you can use less and add some nutritional yeast if you like!)
1/2 cup of fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
45g fresh bread crumbs, toasted
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Cook macaroni according to the instructions on the packet to your desired softness (you don't want it too firm so it absorbs more of that cheese goodness!)
2. Place the onion halves and the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through and milk is starting to bubble. Turn off heat, discard onion and set aside.
3. In another pan, melt margarine over a low heat and once melted, ad flour and mix until well combined. with a whisk, add milk a little at a time and whisk until well combined to make the white sauce base. Add cheese, grated onion, stock powder, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk until well combined. Cook until the cheese has melted and the flour is cooked through.
4. Add cheese sauce to the drained pasta in the pan. add thyme and parsley leaves and mix through.
5. Transfer mixture to a medium-sized tray and spread evenly across the base. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly across the top and cook in the oven for approximately ten minutes, or until the mac'n'cheese is bubbling and golden. Serve immediately and enjoy!