This recipe makes a delicious, satisfying dinner or lunch… or is delicious any time of day, really! Its Italian flavours and textures are guaranteed to be popular at the dining table – watch the rollatini disappear before your eyes!
Serve with fresh veggies like steamed green beans dressed in a homemade vinaigrette, or your favourite salad.
2 large eggplants, thinly sliced
1 cup almond milk or coconut milk, for dipping
1 cup gluten free or almond flour, for dipping
1 ½ cups gluten free fresh breadcrumbs
1 250g block MyLife Biocheese, sliced into sticks
½ cup grated MyLife Biocheese, for sprinkling
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the sauce:
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Onion, diced
2 tsp fennel seeds
½ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
½ cup olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180c. lightly grease a 16cmx26cm baking tray and set aside.
To make the sauce:
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil and a pinch of salt. When onion becomes translucent and garlic caramelises, add fennel seeds and cook briefly until seeds become aromatic.
3. Add fresh and canned tomatoes along with the basil. Cook for 45 minutes or until sauce thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
To cook the eggplant:
4. Salt the slices of eggplant on both sides and put in a colander over the sink to drain away bitterness. When eggplant starts to sweat, rinse and drain.
5. Add almond milk, flour and breadcrumbs to separate bowls. To fry the eggplant, dip and coat eggplant slices in almond milk, then flour, then breadcrumbs and fry in a hot frypan with some oil. Repeat process until all eggplant is cooked. Lay out on a tray lined with baking paper to drain excess oil.
6. Place a stick of Mylife Biocheese at the end of each piece of eggplant and roll up. Place each rollatini in the greased baking tray. Pour still-warm sauce over the top and sprinkle grated MyLife Biocheese over the top.
7. Cook for 20 minutes or until cheese on top has melted. PLEASE NOTE: melting conditions will depend on your oven so please watch the rollatini carefully. Alternatively, you could sprinkle on top after the rollatini have been in the oven. Serve with your favourite greens or salad. Yum!